In my many ventures to New Orleans, I was often fascinated by their culinary skills. Especially when Em's dad, Rob, a wine lover, would come down and take us out to amazing meals paired with some of his most beloved wines. This man would actually travel with his own wine thats what kind of meal we were in for.
Featured Restaurants in this post:
Gautreau's -
1728 Soniat Street
New Orleans, Louisiana 70115
(504) 899-7397
www.gautreausrestaurant.com
and
Herbsaint
701 Saint Charles Ave
New Orleans, LA 70130-3713
(504) 524-4114
www.herbsaint.com
So Gautreaus - wow. If you aren't specifically looking for this place, youre going to miss it in the neighborhood its that tucked away. But oh what a hidden treasure it is... at least to the people who are just figuring it out, for the people who aleady know about its just a treasure. The appetizers are appropriately named as when you have them you just want more. Some can be found to be so overwhelmingly amazing that you want to just throw caution to the wind and put all of your trust in the chef and have them bring out whatever they are inspired to do because there's no way they could go wrong. My personal favorite entree was the Crispy Duck with Marcona Almonds. The citrus quinoa was amazing and adds a fresh element to what could potentially look like a heavy meal. Serving it with the duck jus is just icing on the proverbial cake and serves to further the duck flavor when paired with the quinoa and Belgian endive. Almonds serve for a light flavor and a nice texture. Of course we had Rob the entire time giving us a free wine lesson with each course but if I were you I would trust their sommolier to have just as excellent of a pairing to suggest should you be so inclined. The meals here aren't cheap. Reservations should be made at least two to four weeks in advance to make sure you get the time and day you want. Be careful for Mardi Gras, Jazz Fest, or graduation seasons though - reservations should probably be made as far in advance as possible. But I assure you, it is well worth it.
Now Herbsaint - I've eaten here more than I have Gautreau's and its definately a foodie spot. Their chef Donald Link has won a James Beard Award for best chef in the South. I mean, thats incredible considering the testimony I just gave to the Chef at Gautreau's. He's got something for everyone, small plates like beef short ribs (so yum), and entrees such as Sauteed Louisiana Jumbo Shrimp with Corn Arancini and Bacon. What I like about this chef and restaurant is that they use local foods whenever possible. Their desserts here....I can't even begin to talk about the creme brulee without talking about the Inniskillin ice wine that Rob suggested I try with it. It was such an experience it changed my perspective on life for a while there - if something could exist that tasted so good, how could I be pre-occupied with things such as cleaning or getting things done? Luckily the moment passed because I was still in college and things needed to get cleaned and assignments needed to get done. But I will never forget that pairing. Reservations here should be made at least a week in advance if not further. And very well worth it.
Now Im hungry.
Next time I'm going to post about one of my uptown favorites that I had at my friend Kara's suprise bachelorette/birthday party weekends, Matt and Naddies...
No comments:
Post a Comment